Reiki and Chakras– (Pronounced “chock-ruhs”)
Energy is everywhere and is in absolutely everything in the universe. Chakras are our vortex of energy from which our bodies absorb this life force. Awareness of chakras has been a major component of yoga philosophy in India for thousands of years and in the Indian language Sanskrit, the word “chakra” means “wheel.”
We have seven major chakras and they appear as spinning wheels of colors located along our spinal column. Through our chakras, our bodies can act as one holistic system – in mind, body, and spirit.
The standard hand placements during a Reiki healing treatment focuses on these seven major areas of the body. The chakras can become dysfunctional and discolored, or even completely closed, due to issues with the mind, body, or spirit. Because disruptions in energy flow can lead to illness and disease, it is imperative to keep the chakras properly functioning and open. Reiki treatments provide the clearing of the chakras of negative energy and blockages, restoring the harmonious flow of life-force energy.
The seven major chakras are associated with specific aspects of our consciousness and have a corresponding color, shape, tone vibration and certain frequency. Here are their chief characteristics and functions:
1. Root chakra is located at the base of the spine. The associated color is RED, the musical tone is Middle C. The related parts of the body are palms and souls of feet, intestines and glands; Earth element.
The root chakra grounds us in physical existence, in our bodies and in the material world. Balanced root chakras result in a healthy desire for the basics of life (food, warmth, shelter, etc.) and feeling safe. When this chakra is out of balance, we may feel afraid of life, withdraw from physical reality, feel victimized, or be prone to violence.
2. Sacral chakra, located just above the pubic bone. The associated color is ORANGE, the musical tone is D. The related parts of the body are the wrist and ankle, bladder, gonads, reproductive system; Water element.
The sacral chakra is our creative center and fuels our emotions and sexuality. We feel alive and ready for anything that comes our way. Imbalance of this chakra can result in over-indulgence in sex or food, sexual or reproductive disorders, and feelings of jealousy.
3. Solar plexus chakra, located between the naval and breast bone. The associated color is YELLOW, the musical tone is E. The related parts of the body are forearms, calves, stomach, pancreas, liver, spleen, and gall bladder; Fire element.
The solar plexus chakra is where strong and old emotions are held. We feel “butterflies” here as well as “fire in the belly”. It is also the seat of our personal power. When this chakra is fully open and balanced, we feel self-confident, strong, and have a clear sense of purpose. Dysfunction of this chakra can result in insecurity about physical and financial matters and the need to dominate others. Imbalance to this chakra often includes digestive disorders.
4. Heart chakra, located at the top of the heart organ. The associated color is GREEN, the musical tone is F. The related parts of the body are elbows and knees, heart, lungs, chest and upper back; Air element.
The heart chakra acts as the bridge between the physical and spiritual worlds; it is the center of love and emotional wellbeing. We are compassionate and able to give and receive love unconditionally when this chakra is open and fully functioning. A closed and out of balance heart chakra often results in feelings of sadness, fear and anger and can lead to heart disease.
5. Throat chakra, located at the base of the throat. The associated color is SKY BLUE, the musical tone is G. The related parts of the body are shoulders and hip joints, thyroid gland, throat and jaw areas, and vocal cords.
The throat chakra governs communication and expression. When this chakra is fully functioning, we are able to speak and listen in the spirit of truth and constructively express anger and other emotions. Communication suffers when this chakra is blocked and we may overindulge in drinking and eating in order to keep a non-communicative throat busy! One may also suffer from low self-esteem, anger, hostility, resentment, respiratory diseases, and dental disorders.
6. Third-eye chakra, located one inch above the top of the nose. The associated color is PURPLE, the musical tone is A. The related part of the body is the pituitary gland, which is the master gland of the body.
The third-eye chakra is the source of our intuition and cognition. An open third-eye chakra affords us clairvoyance (vision beyond ordinary sight) as well as our ability to visualize and manifest. Imbalances or blockages of this chakra result in fear of our imagination and our own intuition. Symptoms of third-eye imbalance may include depression, anxiety, insomnia and persistent headaches (especially in the center of the forehead).
7. Crown chakra, located at the crown of the head. The associated color is VIOLET, the musical tone is B. The related parts of the body are the pineal gland and upper brain.
The crown chakra is our direct connection to spiritual awareness. This chakra is open at birth and located in the area known as our soft spot. It is the last chakra to close at the time of death. When this chakra is highly developed and optimized, we are able to experience true inner peace because we fully understand the “oneness” of universal existence, knowing that we are connected to all. The illusion of separation between ourselves and others dissolves. An open crown chakra enables us to tap into the highest sources of spiritual wisdom and enhance our psychic knowing or claircognizance. Blockages can result in fearing death, feeling lonely, and habitually comparing ourselves to others.
If you’ve read this far, then you’ve figured out the importance of keeping your 7 major chakras open and spinning with the Universal life force energy. A Reiki treatment will provide this energy as it flows down through the practitioner’s crown chakra out through his/her hands to the recipient. The practitioner does not direct the flow of energy; the receiver draws the positive energy and the energy knows where to go within the body. This is also called intelligent energy. The practitioner’s ego and biases are kept out of the direction or flow of energy.
Healing – whether it’s emotional, mental or physical – is the responsibility of each individual. Maintaining balance in all aspects of your life is essential and Reiki is a wonderful, relaxing way to regain your balance, clear blockages and allow for healing.
Just for today, do not worry.
Just for today, do not anger.
Honor your parents, teachers, and elders.
Earn your living honestly.
Show gratitude to everything.
–Dr. Mikao Usui